Information for Students
You are warmly welcome to University of Peradeniya!!!
List of Documents from overseas students to study at University of Peradeniya
When sending an application, you are required to submit the following list of documents to the International Relations Office.
Please note that you must start this process at least 3 months before the semester starts at the Faculty you wish to study at the University of Peradeniya.
- Official Transcript with results (undergraduate and postgraduate, if and as applicable)
- Bio page of the Passport, a color copy certified as true copy by the Dean of Faculty or Director of International Relations or similar position holder at the University where the student is studying
- Recommendation Letters (2) as referee reports from your supervisors
- Student Motivational Letter (within 1 A4 page document including your motivation to study at Peradeniya and subjects you wish to study)
- In addition, a nomination letter from your University for the student may also be required.
Information about arriving in Sri Lanka
The official website of the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) https://www.airport.lk/index provides answers to all your questions regarding Arrival in Sri Lanka, Immigration and Customs regulations, Baggage, Banks and Currency exchange.
English Language Requirements
A majority of lectures at the University of Peradeniya are conducted in English. Therefore, prospective students are expected to be competent in speaking, writing, listening and comprehension skills required for academic work at University of Peradeniya.
It is compulsory to obtain a resident/student visa to study in Sri Lanka. In order for that, you may have to enter the country with an Entry visa. If you require assistance with obtaining a visa to study at University of Peradeniya, contact the International Relations Office, leaving a period of at least three months for the processing of the visa.
Please note that a visiting/ tourist visa would not permit you to commence your studies.
Required Documents for Prior approval for Entry Visa
You need to send the following to the International Relations Office:
- Scanned biometric page of the passport (in colour) as a certified copy
- If the applicant is in a foreign country, the Scanned Residence visa page of the passport for the country that you are currently residing in
- Security clearance issued by the country of residence of the applicant
- Letter of admission/invitation/selection
- Payment for “prior approval of visa issued by Dept. of Immigration, Sri Lanka”: 750 LKR
- Valid Passport
- Duly Completed B form from the Embassy or download from
- Two passport size photographs (35mm x 45mm)
- Relevant Visa Fee (Or Payment for Landing Endorsement if Sri Lankan Diplomatic missions are not available in your country)
- Copy of “prior approval of visa issued by Dept. of Immigration, Sri Lanka” (which will be sent by International Relations Office)
Extension of Visa
- Any prospective foreign student should obtain the entry visa prior to arrive in Sri Lanka and should obtain the residence visa (Education) within 30 days of arrival to study/ teach/research in Sri Lanka.
- Therefore, please contact International Relations Office and get the necessary forms to fill, along with other necessary instructions for the visa extension.
- Duly filled IM 35 Residence visa application form (can be collected at International Relations Office)
- Application for Recommendation of Extension of Residence Visa (can be collected at International Relations Office). You need to fill this accordingly and submit it again to the International Relations Office.
- Recommendation letter from University for extension of Visa (Will be given after submitting the completed Application to the International Relations Office mentioned in section 2 above.
- A certificed copy of the passport biometric page (in colour)
- two colour photographs (size 35mm X 45mm)
- Letter of admission/ invitation
- Encashment receipts to the value of US$ 1500/- per year per person
- Mandatory health protection plan upon arrival in Colombo (to be obtained from IHU, Sri Lanka) http://www.health.gov.lk/IHU/
- Visa fee: 20,000 LKR per person per year.
If you are staying at accommodation provided by the University (University residences), please obey the rules and regulations imposed by respective hostel (time of arrival, departure etc.)
- Most of the time you have to share the room with one or two roommates either from your Faculty or any other Faculty
- Furniture is provided in the room (a bed with mattress, a cupboard, a table)
- You need to bring your own bed sheets and pillows
- Food can be either bought from the hostel canteen or outside
- Other basic sanitary items and other necessities should be brought by you
- Common bathrooms are available for student use
If you are staying off campus accommodation please discuss with the owners about the requirements
- 80 % attendance is compulsory for the coursework at UoP.
- Practical sessions (if any) are compulsory
- You will be evaluated based on the ongoing assessments, mid-term and end-term examinations depending on the courses you follow
- You will be allowed to work in the laboratory and use instruments and chemicals under the permission of your research supervisor and/or with research students
Other University Facilities
If you wish to utilize the University facilities such as Main Library, IT Centre, Gymnasium and Swimming Pool, please go through the relevant request procedure through the International Relations Office
NOTE: University is closed during the weekends and on public holidays. However, if you wish to work in the laboratory, you can do your research with the prior permission of your supervisor
In Case of Emergency
You can contact,
- Your supervisor/ Lecturer in charge from the Faculty
- International Affairs Office – 081 205 9390 , 0717 462 541
- Tourist Police Division – Hotline: 011 242 1451 , Kandy: 0813 837 392
- 119 (outside the University local emergency)
Our Location : https://goo.gl/maps/HFKsH5omQAHeuNEv9
Sri Lanka Tourist Police: https://www.police.lk/index.php/item/50
Tourist Police - Important hints for secure tour https://www.police.lk/index.php/item/514
Bandaranaike International Airport, Katunayake, Colombo https://www.airport.lk/index
Sri Lankan Airlines https://www.srilankan.com/en_uk/lk
Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority (SLTDA) https://www.sltda.gov.lk/en
Tourist Map: https://www.srilanka.travel/tourist-map
Sri Lanka at a glance https://www.srilanka.travel/srilanka-at-a-glance